Wednesday, May 15, 2013

It's a Good Thing Humans Aren't God

Have you ever became uncontrollably frustrated with someone because it seems they won't listen to your advice, and they keep making the same mistakes, putting them right back where they started?  Well, I have.  Sometimes I get so frustrated I want to take the person and shake them - so you should be thankful I am not God.

God loves us so much and is so patient with us that it doesn't matter that I'm about to try this intimate quiet devotion and prayer time for what seems like the billionth time.  I try to carve out my quiet time first thing in the morning.  I pray, read my Bible, and read some of whatever Bible Study book I am participating in at the time - or I might journal if I feel like it.  However, Satan is cunning and deceiving.  Occasionally I decide to have quite time in the living room so that I don't go back to sleep on the bed.  This living room has my computer with super easy access to Facebook, the big screen TV with Xfinity OnDemand waiting to play my favorite shows I have missed, and my PS3, along with a stack of my favorite games that are begging me to play them for hours upon hours.

So I compromise.  Satan says, "It's okay.  You won't be able to focus on God with your mind stuck on electronics, so go ahead.  You have all day to have your quiet time."  In reality, I have all day to Facebook, watch TV, and play games - usually that time in the morning is the best devotional time I can get all day.

Satan does such a good job at this that I don't even notice what's happening until I feel different - disconnected from God.  I go to pray and suddenly I'm at a loss for words because I know I've messed up again and the only person to blame is me.  I know that if the roles were reversed I would be fuming with frustration and 2 seconds from saying "don't even try anymore because it's not worth it."

Praise God because instead He says, "It's okay.  Let's try again, and let me help you even more this time.  We will get it someday."

Micha 7:18-19
     "Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance?  You do not stay angry forever, but delight to show mercy.  You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea."


Dear Father,
     If there is someone reading this who has fallen back to an old habit away from you, Lord, please give them the strength to throw it away and to call on your name to try again.  They may not get it this time either, Lord, but you are a God of mercy and forgiveness.  You will help them until they get it right.
I ask this all in Jesus' name.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment if you liked my blog or I inspired you. Also, please share my blog with your friends if you would like them to read as well.